20 Sep Morning Yoga – Benefits and Video
Doing yoga might be the last thing on your mind when you wake up in the morning, but practicing yoga first thing, even just for a few minutes, has many benefits.
Benefits of Practicing in the morning (from personal experience)
1. It helps to wake you up! Yes, you will leave your mat feeling more awake than when you got on it.
2. It sets the tone for the day. Waking up and following the breath through some gentle yoga stretches will keep you calm throughout the day. Alternatively, taking some easy stretches and then firing up the body with some sun salutations or vinyasa flow can make you feel alert and energised for the day.
3. It can improve your concentration. When you spend time focusing and tuning into your breath, you become in to the present and it can help you stay this way throughout the day.
4. It helps to keep you on a healthy path all day. After you have practiced yoga, you will feel good about yourself and then will want to treat your body to healthy meals and drinks for the rest of the day.
5. It can help with your digestive flow. I’m sure you know what I mean…
6. It increases your metabolism. Like all exercise in the morning, it helps to kick start your metabolism ready for that super healthy breakfast.
7. It’s like a giant satisfying yawn and stretch. Just think, you have been laying down not moving for 7-8 hours, so what your body needs is a nice stretch to lengthen all those muscles and get the blood pumping into them once again.
8. You won’t find excuses not to practice. By practicing first thing in the morning, nothing that happens throughout the day can make you skip your practice for that day as you get it done and out the way first thing in the morning.